Hundreds of different youth events (camps, workshops, conferences) are being organised every year. Although these beneficial for individuals and communities, from an environmental viewpoint these events have a significant negative impact: their carbon footprint.
By organizing events in a way that is thought-out and environmentally friendly in terms of travel, catering, accommodation, materials used and the activities planned, one can reduce the carbon footprint left by youth events – thus significantly contributing to climate change mitigation.
About the project
In 2015 „homo ecos:” - in collaboration with Non-Governmental Organisations INFORSE-Europe (Denmark), Center for Environmental Solutions (Belarus) and Latvijas Zaļā kustība - carries out the project „Decarbonize our Future!”, which create guidelines on reducing the CO2 emissions of youth events. The project is co-financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers Office.
Main activities of the project include:
- Research of successful experiences in organizing such events in Latvia, Denmark and Belarus and the main aspects that should be taken into account by organizers in order to reduce the carbon footprint of their youth events;
- Creation of guidelines on organizing low carbon youth events, that will support the organisers in seeing the projects through in a way that reduces CO2 emissions and, while planning and implementing the events, taking into account the significant aspects like selection of location, mode of transport, catering, materials used, resources, activities etc.
- International youth training on how to improve the eco-friendliness of events. The youth training brings together young people from Latvia, Denmark and Belarus to experiment on different topics included in the guidelines of the project;
- Spreading the results of the project and informing a wider part of society.
Benefits of the project:
Guidelines in Latvian, Russian and English languages that render assistance for any organisation or event holder in improving the quality of youth events, thus making them environmentally friendly. This project furthers education and inspiration of the international training participants to change their decisions and habits towards a more environmentally friendly way, organize more eco-friendly events in the future and inspirit others to change too.
* The project „Decarbonize our Future!” (#14228) is funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers.